Management of type 1 and type 2 diabetes
My research focus is on clinical care in the area of treatment of type 1 and type 2 diabetes. I am currently engaged in the following projects:
- Clinical care for diabetic patients in hospitalized settings: I am the director of the Inpatient Diabetes Management Service (IPDM) at MGH and have been conducting several studies on the status of hospitalized subjects at MGH, and the role of the IPDM service on clinical outcomes such as re-hospitalization rates. I am part of the nationwide group of diabetologists involved in research and policy settings on the area of inpatient diabetes.
- Islet Transplantation: I am currently collaborating with Dr. James Markmann, Division Chief of Transplant Surgery on a new protocol of islet cell transplant for type 1 diabetic patients recipient of kidney allografts. I am also involved in the screening and follow-up of patients with history of chronic pancreatitis who are candidates for total pancreatectomy and auto islet transplantation, and I am a member of the MGH Transplant Center.
- Management of diabetes in patients with mental issues: Over the last few years I have collaborated with Dr. David Henderson and Dr. Steven Safren of the Department of Psychiatry on several studies on the relationship between atypical antipsychotic agents and diabetes, and the management of patients with diabetes and depression. We have recently completed a clinical trial of cognitive behavioral therapy in patients with depression and type 2 diabetes
- Diabetes Prevention: I am a member of the Diabetes Prevention Program since its inception several years ago and I am still actively following the patient cohort as part of the Diabetes Prevention Program Observational Study
- Weight loss in type 2 diabetes: I am currently the PI of a multicenter, randomized, controlled study of an endoscopically delivered intestinal liner, the Endobarrier, produced by GI Dynamics, as a way to induce weight loss and management of type 2 diabetes in obese patients.
1. Jeffrey S. Gonzalez, Havah E. Schneider, Deborah J. Wexler, Christina Psaros, Linda M. Delahanty, Enrico Cagliero, Steven A. Safren. Validity of Medication Adherence Self-Reports in Adults With Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2013; 36(4): 831–837. PMCID: PMC3609536
2. Deborah J. Wexler, Catherine C. Beauharnais, Susan Regan, David M. Nathan, Enrico Cagliero, Mary E. Larkin. Impact of inpatient diabetes management, education, and improved discharge transition on glycemic control 12 months after discharge. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2012; 98(2): 249–256. PMCID: PMC3514591.
3.Franca B. Barton, Michael R. Rickels, Rodolfo Alejandro, Bernhard J. Hering, Stephen Wease, Bashoo Naziruddin, Jose Oberholzer, Jon S. Odorico, Marc R. Garfinkel, Marlon Levy, Francois Pattou, Thierry Berney, Antonio Secchi, Shari Messinger, Peter A. Senior, Paola Maffi, Andrew Posselt, Peter G. Stock, Dixon B. Kaufman, Xunrong Luo, Fouad Kandeel, Enrico Cagliero, Nicole A. Turgeon, Piotr Witkowski, Ali Naji, Philip J. O’Connell, Carla Greenbaum, Yogish C. Kudva, Kenneth L. Brayman, Meredith J. Aull, Christian Larsen, Tom W.H. Kay, Luis A. Fernandez, Marie-Christine Vantyghem, Melena Bellin, A.M. James Shapiro. Improvement in Outcomes of Clinical Islet Transplantation: 1999–2010. Diabetes Care. 2012 July; 35(7): 1436–1445. PMCID: PMC3379615.
4. Jeffrey S. Gonzalez, Lauren A. McCarl, Deborah D. Wexler D, Enrico Cagliero, Linda Delahanty, Tiffany D. Soper, Valerie Goldman, Robert Knauz, Steven A. Safren. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Adherence and Depression (CBT-AD) in Type 2 Diabetes. J Cogn Psychother. 2010 November 1; 24(4): 329–343. PMCID: PMC3650858
5. Deborah J. Wexler, Peter Shrader, Sean M. Burns, Enrico Cagliero. Effectiveness of a Computerized Insulin Order Template in General Medical Inpatients With Type 2 Diabetes. A cluster randomized trial. Diabetes Care. 2010 October; 33(10): 2181–2183. PMCID: PMC2945157